Essential Skills of Communicating (ESC) provides the tools necessary to develop clear, concise messages. Focusing on communication as a two-way process, the program can help even experienced managers improve their messages by making them clear, well organized and aimed at the needs and interests of the listener. By developing the essential skills of communicating, managers improve relations with their team members and increase productivity.
It seems like a logical step. Take your top performers and promote them into management positions. Have them transfer their individual style and success to the whole team. It can work, but it usually doesn’t. Why not? Because…
Great contributors do not automatically make great leaders. Our experience has proven that the skills required to perform as an individual are fundamentally different from the skills critical to leading a team.
For over 20 years, Vital Learning’s Supervision Series has helped thousands of organizations equip managers with the tools they need to succeed. We know that managers who don’t have the skills required to lead will have a negative impact well beyond their work teams. In fact, their failure can limit the success of an entire organization.
The management skill level of first-line managers affects team member retention, overall productivity, even profitability. It’s the relationship between team leader and team member that’s critical to the success of an organization. And a strong relationship, built on mutual trust and respect, begins with effective communication.
Essential Skills of Communicating helps managers learn the latest techniques in developing effective communication skills – improving their performance and increasing the productivity of the team and the organization. Throughout the workshop, managers will review video presentations and case studies, participant in group discussions, practice new skills, and receive immediate feedback. Managers leave with implementations tools, troubleshooting guides and additional resources to help them apply the skills they have learned on the job.
Create a Climate of Open Communication
The foundation of good communication is openness. The manager’s role is to support an environment that encourages the free exchange of open, honest communication.
Design Clear, Concise Messages
Develop messages that avoid complex and pompous language. Learn to logically organize messages and aim them at the listener’s interests.
Manage Nonverbal Behaviors Effectively
Understanding nonverbal factors, such as voice tone, intonation and gestures, is an important part of effective communication.
Listen to Communicate
Effective communication is a two-way process. Managers learn the importance of active listening and the role of responding appropriately by reflecting, probing, supporting, and advising.
E-Learning Course Features
- Courses are approximately 60-90 minutes in length
- Each course can be retaken and is available online for up to 12 months
- Downloadable course completion certificate provided
- Available 24/7 for initial learning or just-in-time skill refreshment
- Full bookmarking capability so you can start and stop at anytime
- Features a high degree of interactivity that engages adult learners
- Each course contains interactive exercises and simulations and assessment tools
- Includes a pre and post test so it’s easy to measure knowledge acquisition
- Self-awareness inventories
- Skill practice sessions connect the skill points to realistic business challenges
- Online courses can be blended to include a workbook
- Administrative tracking mechanism to view student progress
- Onsite licensing for larger organizations
- Word by Word Script
- Pre and Post Tests
- PowerPoint Slides
- Reading Lists
- Internet Bridge
- Memory Card
- Test Answers
- Certificate of Completion
- Program Evaluation
- Self-Assessment Worksheet
- Action Plan Worksheets
- Announcement Letters
- Introduction followed by a scenario displaying positive use of the skills discussed in the program
- Video segments focusing on modeling positive behaviors for skill practices
- 4-6 Vignettes–Includes both Professional and Industrial versions
- Approximately 90 pages
- Exercises, forms, skill practice aids, and a video synopsis.
- Job Aids section with tools and resources for applying the skills learned.
- Memory Jogger Card providing a handy reminder of the workshop’s skill points.