This is great team building exercise that is suitable for teenagers in class rooms to adults in workplace settings. I have used this exercise in dozens of team building workshops I have conducted over the years.
This exercise encourages creative problem solving through teamwork.
- Divide everyone into groups of 4 to 8 people
- The goal of this exercise is to have your team build the tallest free standing tower with 3 x 5 cards
Here are the rules:
- You will be given SEVEN MINUTES to plan and build your tower.
- You will have FIVE MINUTES for the actual construction of the tower.
- While you plan, you MAY NOT DAMAGE THE CARDS IN ANY WAY, but you MAY SPEAK.
- While you build the tower, you may NOT SPEAK to each other.
Materials: 50 3X5 cards. You can substitute with a deck of playing cards of a box of spaghetti.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Group Size: Groups of 4-8 people
Here are some videos of how different teams tackled this exercise.